Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Back to work
Okay, so maybe not just yet. But the fact that our minister is returning from vacation on the 9th is spurring me to start thinking once again about how to make the church experience one that appeals to the young at heart and still is comfortable with those who are used to a more traditional service. That was one thing that Brooke and I did touch on during our lunch meeting; his (and I hope I am remembering this right) conflict in how to play the music at the church. He is used to tailor what and how he plays based on the audience present and since the majority of the congregation is of his parents age or older he tends towards playing the hymns in a manner that would appeal for that age group. Not that I had an answer for him at the time...

But I keep coming back to the idea of a song set. Over the last few weeks I have come to notice how much harder it is for me to get into a good spiritual space when I keep getting up and down - we sing one song, then sit down for a (maybe short) prayer, then up again for one more song, then sitting for a reading... You get the idea. This is to me kind of like stop and go traffic; you just get going and you have to stop. Now I will agree that it is probably a little harder for me to "get into the groove" since I have to run the slides as well, but I still think that the above applies regardless.

God Bless You!
 
posted by Christian Thibodeau at 10:48 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: