Sunday, August 14, 2005
Things went pretty well
I am happy to say that the singsong went over fairly well. I was worried about "How Great is Our God" as I did not know if I could do the song justice. People seemed to enjoy it; the only comment was that it was too high. Not much I could do about that since the key I played it in is the only one I am really comfortable playing. I guess I will have to bring another guitar and tune it down a whole step so it is not too hard for people to sing.

The service went well. Our music director was back from vacation and, as usual, played all of the hymns on the organ. I am probably prejudiced as I play the hymns on a guitar for the singsong, but it seems to me that playing the organ is too "formal", "old school", or just "old"? I do not really have a word to describe it, but last week's guest musician did such an awesome job playing the hymns on the piano and I thought that it livened things up so much more and made things more enjoyable to sing. Now the piano is not our choir director's primary instrument - she is a flutist. But she has improved tremendously in her piano playing. So much so that I think she should play on the piano more than she does now. I think it would improve things. But hey, that's only my opinion.

Another thing that was weird is that the guest minister used the parable of "The Prodigal Son" for the children story. I say it is weird because that was not one of today's Bible readings and last week he had said to the children that they had to come to church this week to hear the rest of the Joseph story. His reflection (sermon), however, was very good. He spoke on the Matthew reading (Matthew 15:21-28 about the Canaanite woman) and I think he did a very good job.

God Bless You!
 
posted by Christian Thibodeau at 11:59 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: