Monday, October 24, 2005
Discernment meeting - take 3
"You're blessed when you get your inside world--your mind and heart--put right. Then you can see God in the outside world." (Matthew 5:8 - The Message).

As is our custom at the beginning of the meeting, we went through the Lucio Divina process of Bible reading. Except this time, we were much more deliberate about doing it as it was the topic of the meeting - Daily Bible reading as the 3rd mark of discipleship. (As an aside, I was explaining what we had done to my older daughter, and she says "Oh, you mean Lucio Divina." Somehow I was not surprised. In any case, I think I will enjoy reading the Bible much more now that I know I do not have understand it all, but rather let God speak to me through the passage.

You may recall what I said about yesterday's service and how it was probably more my problem alone rather than something that would affect everybody. Well it would appear that I was right. The people at the meeting were just going on about how great the service was and how it was a great example of discipleship in action. I am not denying that it was an example of discipleship in action: people using their talents in praising God. I just don't get what made that particular service such a watershed event. Or maybe I should just say that it was not for me; it was just natural to me that people would make use of their talents - after all they have done just that many times in the past.

I just want to write this down before I forget. When I was speaking during the meeting it just occurred to me that people are very afraid of the changes they think will be made but they do not really need to be. The thought I had was they do not have to change what they are doing, but just remember/realize why it is they do what they do. To which my older daughter said "That is probably the hardest thing to do for them". I will have to think about that.

God Bless You!
 
posted by Christian Thibodeau at 10:54 PM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Chris,

    I wonder if perhaps this service was such a watershed moment, not because it was more or less special than any of the other services but more because people realized for the first time that participating in worship was dicipleship in action. Just a thought.

    Blessings,

    Jerri