Tuesday, October 11, 2005
Worship
Tonight was Discernment Committee meeting night. We are going through the Marks of Discipleship (put forward originally by Michael Foss in his book "Power Surge") one by one after reading about that particular mark of discipleship in another of Michael Foss' book "Living the six Marks of Discipleship: Real Faith for real life". Tonight's discussion centered on weekly Worship.

I am not going to recount everything we discussed at the meeting, but just write down a couple of things that have come to me since. I was re-reading the chapter after the meeting trying to clear something up in my mind when I came upon this line: "Worship is our invitation to come into a time and place where heaven and earth touch". That, I think, is for me the best explanation of what worship is. It allows for different methods of accomplishing that purpose while having the same end result.

The other thing is really just me being picky again. I would say that if you are by yourself you are not worshipping, you are praying. Worshipping to me involves being part of a faith community, or as it is put in the Bible "in the company of saints".

God Bless You!
 
posted by Christian Thibodeau at 11:10 PM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Chris,
    you have an amazing way of cutting through to the heart of the matter with an understanding that is deep and faithful. I am touched by your deep grasp of what worship is....and your willingness to go deep.

    You are so right that worshipping by ourselves is praying... which is a quite fine thing to do but does not take the place of worship in the company of believers.

    So, you see the work ahead of us... when most of society assumes acknowledging God is the same as coming together as the 'company of saints" to worship....

    But with God's help......

    God Bless you!

    Jerri