Sunday, December 04, 2005
Tithing
"give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For the measure you give will be the measure you get back." - Luke 6:38 (Revised Standard Version)

I really enjoyed the service this morning. I think the Reflection (Sermon) was very effective the way it was done, with one of the voices coming from a person hidden from view. I enjoyed singing "Today" by Brian Doerksen; the only thing I might do differently is that this song just begs to have the congregation join in the singing. The singsong went okay, although I felt like something was missing. Nothing wrong with the songs, but in retrospect they just did not speak to me I guess. I don't know, I just cannot put my finger on it.

If you are a member of the Discernment committee, you will have recognized the passage above. That is one of the passages quoted in chapter 6 of the "Real Faith for real life" book we are reading. Doesn't that just give a whole new twist on the subject of giving?

I do have an issue with the statement that the author makes at least twice (pp.111 and pp.122) that "we cannot out-give God". Not that it is not true, but rather that since everything that we are and that we have is from God it seems to me that it should be very obvious that we cannot do that. It is also interesting that he says that you get more than what you put in (based on the first part of the passage above) (pp.111) whereas I zeroed in on the latter part that, to me, says that you get back what you give.

Should be interesting conversation tomorrow night.

God Bless You!
 
posted by Christian Thibodeau at 9:26 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: