Saturday, June 03, 2006
Sunday music
I guess I should start by talking about Love Your City since we have just completed all the events today. The Friday night rally was great; I enjoyed most of the music that was played during the rally and the message was very well done. Now when I mention that I enjoyed most of the music, what I mean is that some of the songs the Praise Band played were not songs that were easy to pick up for people that had never heard them before. I think that if you want to get people to get the message you are trying to get across they should not have to worry more about learning the tune rather than just singing. Some of their songs were great in that respect. "Freedom" for example had an easy to pick up, repetitive verse and chorus that most if not all people were able to sing. For at least one song, I felt like the Praise Band was singing to us, rather than getting us to sing with them.

The Saturday events went very well; I had been second guessing myself ever since we had decided to increase the number of bottles from 600 to 1000, but we went through all of the bottles (minus 35 that we had forgotten about) in less than 3 hours. And from all of the comments that were made at the celebration service afterwards we were not the only ones that were very successful. And by successful I mean that we reached a lot of people.

On to Sunday. I obviously did not spend a lot of time selecting songs since I spent most of my waking hours working on / taking part in Love Your City. My song selection was made much easier by the fact that one of the songs we are singing in the service tomorrow is not known by the congregation and I have been asked to teach it to them during the singsong. Another song was selected because it was one of the really good ones used at both the Friday night rally and the Saturday celebration service. And the last one I wanted a song that said something about dancing; the reason being that the choir anthem has a line that says "put on my dancing shoes" and by using that song in the singsong it sets the context for the line in the anthem. And the three songs are:

"Dance with the Spirit" Jim Strathdee
"Loving Spirit" VU387
"Shine, Jesus Shine" Graham Kendrick

God Bless You!
 
posted by Christian Thibodeau at 11:59 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: